Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Spring Is Almost Here...Time To Get The Morothome Ready!

Finally the snow is melting! The temps are good for working outside, and the snowbanks have receded around the motorhome!  The past two days have had me working hard on prepping for the summer season.  Last fall after buying my land yacht I was only able to drive it to storage, cover it with a tarp, and say goodnight to it as winter immediately buried it in snow. Spring is shortly here and I'm real anxious to get this thing on the road and enjoy traveling in comfort.

First item on my to do list was re-installing the start batteries. Sitting in the dealers lot the two AGM Yellow Top Gel Cell batteries had been allowed to discharge to a state where I feared they may not come back. Luckily, by applying a slow charge for an extended period of time, they came right back up to full potential.

I cleaned all the terminals and connections and hooked them back up.  I have a battery maintainer solar panel on the roof and not only cleaned it for better operation, but tested it with a volt meter to make sure it was indeed charging all 6 of my batteries.

That done, I hit the starter button and was pleasantly surprised at how easy and fast the motor caught. In no time I had both the drive motor and the diesel generator purring away for the first time since last Oct. Yay..Big Time!

Next it was inside for the big project of the day. Replacing the 20 yr old dirty and faded carpeting with new chocolate colored carpeting. I won't say it was a snap, as it took a full day to take out the seats, remove the old carpet, cut the new to fit, and install with a fair amount of grunting and swearing in the process.

I had to unbolt and remove the front seats and partially disassemble the sofa. The center console had to be unbolted too.

I spent a couple hours pulling staples out of the floor, and used that small remaining piece of old carpet under the steering wheel as a pattern to precut the new carpet before I installed it,  it was a long hard day's work but there was plenty of satisfaction that I took the time to do it right.

Was it worth the effort?  You tell me...I love the fresh new look!

Now to get that pink swivel recliner out of there, paint the walls a light spring green, and bring in the electric fireplace that will be going on that nice empty passenger wall.


No comments: