Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Satellite Beach In Melbourne Florida

What's Florida without the beaches! Even before we went out to lunch, the first place my friend wanted me to see was the ocean. Off we went to Satellite Beach, a small ocean front community with, you guessed it, a wonderful open beach.

The most amazing feature of the great expanse of sand was that it was practically deserted! We spent a couple hours watching the waves roll into shore, walking down the water line in our bare feet, and just enjoying the mild temperatures.

An older gentleman was standing on the walkway
and my friend struck up a conversation with him about his camo styled suspenders. The plain blue suspenders I was wearing when I arrived just didn't measure up to her style requirements. Note the more acceptable Hawaiian shirt I was wearing instead.

Naturally her attempt to have me pose by the water was a complete ploy. While I mindlessly smiled for the camera, the incoming waves just got closer and closer.

In a matter of minutes, while she snapped away, it finally happened. Just as she had planned, the water
finally came in far enough to soak me half way to my knees.

No matter, I survived. We enjoyed our walk, and our time together telling old stories about family and friends from 40 years ago.

I collected a few sea shells, got a bit of a sunburn, and spent the day pretending to be a local instead of a snowbird.

The difference between the two is easy to spot. Snowbirds wear shorts and light weight shirts. The
locals actually wear their Carhartt's on days when it's in the mid 60's.

We dusted off the sand, put on our shoes, and headed back to the  house to change wet pants.Then it was off to  lunch at Grills Riverside.


No comments: